Skip to main content

Books: Recommended Completed Series: The Raven Cycle



I love YA Fiction. I have no problems admitting that, and while there are certainly detractors, I have found so many incredible story tellers within the YA community, that if you are avoiding the titles simply because they are "for young adults," you are really missing out.

I was introduced to Maggie Stiefvater's work in 2009 when I picked up the novel Shiver, the first in the series The Wolves of Mercy Falls. I enjoyed the series, and while it wasn't my most favorite ever, there was something about Stiefvater's writing that hooked me. When the first book in The Raven Cycle came out, The Raven Boys, I was obsessed. Here's the thing. I'm a sucker for fantasy, and for magic, and while The Raven Cycle has that, it also has realism. Maggie Stiefvater is a master of magical realism in this series in a way that I haven't seen before. She creates the world of Henrietta, Virginia, and weaves in the magic so seamlessly, that even the most impossible feels plausible, and I never felt that tug that makes you want to say, "Oh, come on!" 

Aside from the incredible magic, and lore throughout the series, what's also fantastic is each and every single character. The Raven Boys themselves are each strong characters with history, and feelings, and thoughts, and Blue Sargent is a fantastic heroine, and juxtaposition to the boys. That's another thing about Maggie Stiefvater. She knows how to write teenage boys in a way that makes them real, but also elevates them - especially the wealthy, snobby, and overly smartass Raven Boys. I knew boys like this in high school, and I find that many times, authors seem to struggle to find that balance with YA character boys - they end up being too sweet, too nice, too much of a bully, too much of a jock. The Raven Boys each have their own personalities, and fill out the angsty, put upon, jackass, smelly, sweaty, but also kindhearted teenage boy package perfectly. 

Regarding the mythos, and the cars? Looks, Maggie knows her stuff, and it's abundantly clear that she spent a lot of time researching not only the mythical king the boys are trying to wake, but also the Virginia landscape, and all things tied to the magic in the area - ley lines, history. The best part is that all this research and work just fits in naturally, and never feels like it's been dropped in to show off the research. Everything has a place, and the pieces come together in such a way you know the work was done, but you feel it and see it instead of it bashing you over the head. I follow Maggie on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (oh the age of the internet) so I know she truly has a personal love of cars - and it shows in her work. It's fun to read, and has just enough technical jargon and know-how to fit the characters and the cars but without feeling overwhelming to a person like me, with pretty limited car vocabulary. 

If you're into mythological sleeping kings, psychics, prep school boys, muscle cars, a little bit of forbidden romance, danger, dream worlds, familial drama, and more - do yourself a favor and pick up The Raven Boys. You won't be sorry, and the best part is that since the series is completed and all four books published, you won't have to bear the agony I did waiting between novels.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Watching Cancer Take My Mom

I’ve been snooping around my parents house, looking for old photos. I know we have them, my dad loves photography, and I know we have boxes of pictures around here somewhere. Snooping is probably too strong a word, really I’m just searching around. I’m trying to find as many photos of my mom as possible. Most of the photos that are around the house are studio portraits, or other photos of me, from school, from dance. There are few adult pictures of my parents that don’t also include a younger version of me. I want to find these photos because I want to have as many visual reminders of who my mom was, physically, before the cancer came. I want to remember her holding me while I suspiciously suss out Donald Duck, or holding me on her lap in a blue chair that’s almost just as much a part of my childhood memories. I want to remember her smiling, and vibrant, and sometimes, clearly annoyed with the photographer (my dad.) I want all of these as a constant reminder that my mom is so much

When The Waves are Sorrow

I know the lyric to Across the Universe goes "pools of sorrow, waves of joy," and I understand the meaning. Sorrow can feel like a deep and endless pool, but for me, lately, the waves aren't of joy so much as sorrow and grief. Life lately has been survival and attempting to get back into what is the new "normal." The challenge is, I feel like I'm standing in the ocean, waist deep. Most of the time I'm floating in those pools, or at least along with the calm ebb and flow of the tide, but some days, like on Saturday, I am knocked over completely by a wave so big and powerful it pulls me under and holds me there. It hurts, and I can feel my lungs burning as I strain to hold my breath until the current releases me. This overwhelming ache of loss and sadness. I miss my mommy. I know it never goes away. I know this, and I know that eventually the waves are less powerful, either that or I better learn how to dodge them, ride them. There doesn't seem to be

Re-Post: New Year, New You

This post originally published on In The Blackest Ink Today is the 5th of January, we are now almost a full week into the new year, but for me, the new year just began today. Today, I was laid off from my job. I wasn't surprised, although I suppose, maybe the fact that it was my last day was surprising. Around this time in 2016, my first job at this particular location of the organization where I have worked for the last 8 years, was eliminated. At that time, another position was created. I wasn't super thrilled about the position, and did start job hunting, but because I hadn't finished my bachelor's degree, I couldn't get hired. So, I stuck it out, and now, I don't have to? I can't say this is the best time to lose my job. I'm certainly not in a financial position to be unemployed, but I do know that I am incredibly lucky to have the safety net of my boyfriend and my father. Without that I would be in pretty dire straits. In some ways, this is the be