Skip to main content

Weed is the new GOOP

This was originally posted at http://www.intheblackestink.wordpress.com 

Marijuana and CBD oils are all over the Internet right now. I can’t scroll through my RSS feed without seeing at least one article touting it as the next big thing in wellness, or urging me to buy a bath bomb infused with CBD. I won’t lie, it’s not that I’m not tempted, especially by a bath bomb which provides amazing sleep. At this point, even your sparking water fix can be spiked with weed (seriously). There are huge physical and mental wellbeing benefits from the product, and as states begin to legalize recreational marijuana, a growing market for what many view as a holistic treatment for everything from everyday stress, anxiety, depression, to muscle aches and pains. I’ve seen a large number of articles about the oil and its benefits in publications which cater toward women interested in fitness and wellness, but what’s missing are the women of color, and a broader conversation about how white women are benefiting from this recent trend thanks to a whole lot of white privilege.
Let me backup, because I know the concept of white privilege is a point of contention for some. Within the context of the conversation around race and wellness, I’m looking at the racial and gender benefit white women have when it comes to taking part in recreational marijuana. I’m not saying this to malign white women, I too, am a white woman (and sometimes we're kinda the worst). That said, I believe my responsibility as an ally means I have to take a really hard look at the disparity that exists between women of color and white women, including when it comes to wellness. I believe this strongly because even now, in 2018, there is a huge disparity in health outcomes (including birth outcomes) between white women and women of color (Self is taking a stand)  I am all for the legalization of marijuana, that is not up for argument for me. However, as laws change, and states become more lenient in their possession laws, we need to take a real hard look at the population most devastated by the legacy of the War on Drugs. The similar push to rid the world of marijuana has been, much like the War on Drugs, largely unsuccessful. This recent push for the legalization of the drug for recreational use is just one of the backlash. However, what I see missing from the conversation in women’s wellness is how marijuana, with its increasing legal status, impacts black communities. The black population, and specifically black men face harsher sentences for low-level non-violent drug offenses such as possession of marijuana than whites. (ACLU) So it’s understandable when people in the community cite fear of incarceration as a reason to avoid using even legal medical marijuana. When you have seen families destroyed by extreme prison sentences for simple possession, it seems far to great a risk.
This is why as this wellness trend of CBD oil rubs me the wrong way. Celebrating the legality of marijuana, extolling the virtues of CBD oil feels tone deaf when you think of the number of black men currently serving prison sentences for what is now recreationally legal. I’m not saying I’m not happy that people are benefiting from these changes, or that all white women should feel bad.  But, we can, and we should, take a good hard look at how women of color are invisible in the world of wellness, and especially when it comes to recreational marijuana.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Watching Cancer Take My Mom

I’ve been snooping around my parents house, looking for old photos. I know we have them, my dad loves photography, and I know we have boxes of pictures around here somewhere. Snooping is probably too strong a word, really I’m just searching around. I’m trying to find as many photos of my mom as possible. Most of the photos that are around the house are studio portraits, or other photos of me, from school, from dance. There are few adult pictures of my parents that don’t also include a younger version of me. I want to find these photos because I want to have as many visual reminders of who my mom was, physically, before the cancer came. I want to remember her holding me while I suspiciously suss out Donald Duck, or holding me on her lap in a blue chair that’s almost just as much a part of my childhood memories. I want to remember her smiling, and vibrant, and sometimes, clearly annoyed with the photographer (my dad.) I want all of these as a constant reminder that my mom is so much

When The Waves are Sorrow

I know the lyric to Across the Universe goes "pools of sorrow, waves of joy," and I understand the meaning. Sorrow can feel like a deep and endless pool, but for me, lately, the waves aren't of joy so much as sorrow and grief. Life lately has been survival and attempting to get back into what is the new "normal." The challenge is, I feel like I'm standing in the ocean, waist deep. Most of the time I'm floating in those pools, or at least along with the calm ebb and flow of the tide, but some days, like on Saturday, I am knocked over completely by a wave so big and powerful it pulls me under and holds me there. It hurts, and I can feel my lungs burning as I strain to hold my breath until the current releases me. This overwhelming ache of loss and sadness. I miss my mommy. I know it never goes away. I know this, and I know that eventually the waves are less powerful, either that or I better learn how to dodge them, ride them. There doesn't seem to be

Re-Post: New Year, New You

This post originally published on In The Blackest Ink Today is the 5th of January, we are now almost a full week into the new year, but for me, the new year just began today. Today, I was laid off from my job. I wasn't surprised, although I suppose, maybe the fact that it was my last day was surprising. Around this time in 2016, my first job at this particular location of the organization where I have worked for the last 8 years, was eliminated. At that time, another position was created. I wasn't super thrilled about the position, and did start job hunting, but because I hadn't finished my bachelor's degree, I couldn't get hired. So, I stuck it out, and now, I don't have to? I can't say this is the best time to lose my job. I'm certainly not in a financial position to be unemployed, but I do know that I am incredibly lucky to have the safety net of my boyfriend and my father. Without that I would be in pretty dire straits. In some ways, this is the be