Skip to main content

Beauty: One of Those Days & Face and Product

Have you ever had one of those days where the irritations just kind of stacked up? Today was a bit of that for me. I left the house a good 15 minutes earlier than usual this morning, and a streetlight at a major intersection was out, making me actually late for work. My work name tag has mysteriously gone missing from my desk, where I always keep it just under my computer monitor. Several items I was waiting on and expecting to be delivered today have been "delayed," and the mailman didn't take the two items I had out for pickup when he delivered the mail - even though I've been told, by him, to simply put them out and tape a note to them asking for USPS pickup. To top it off, an expense check I've been waiting for was mailed out last week - but not to my home address, which we are asked to put on the form itself - it was mailed somehow to an old address, even though my employee file is updated, and the address on my paystubs is my current address. So, I'll be waiting possibly another week for the check.

I know - all of these are major first world problems, and ultimately not the end of the world, but still, annoying - and all of them together has left me tired, and frustrated, and thinking "I should have gotten that cookie this morning."

Anyway, on the plus side, I've been having a lot of fun with my new Urban Decay Full Spectrum Pallet. The other day I was rocking some of the orange shades, and today, to go with the green background of my dress, I went green. I ended up breaking one of my typical rules - when you're on a time budget, don't go for something brand new, but I couldn't help it. The greens were calling to me. It ended up a little darker, and muddier than I had really wanted, because I got a little over excited about the crease color, but I still ended up liking it.  I even put out all the makeup products I used to create this look on my little towel, and took a picture, because I was in such a good mood before I left the house. lol



 So, what did I use?

For my face, I primed my eyelids and covered up some dark circles with the Younique concealer in Scarlet, using the Younique concealer brush, and a Beauty Blender to really stipple it on there, this concealer is lighter than the foundation shade I wear in the same brand (Organza.) I like to have a concealer that is a shade lighter to do under eye, brightening because while I do have some darkness, it's not terrible.

All over my face I used the NARS tinted moisturizer in Alaska and applied it using the Bare Minerals face brush closest to the tube - I like that it allows me to get a bit heavier coverage but still buildable. I use the MaryKay translucent powder using one of my Beauty Blenders to "bake" under my eyes - mostly just to collect any shadow that falls there, and the large powder brush, which is a cruelty free brush I got as a tester when I would write reviews for (MyBeautyBunny.com)  to set everything, and NARS Orgasm blush and I like to use my Makeup Designory angled brush to really get it right on the apples of my cheeks.

To fill in my brows, I used Anastasia Brow Wiz pencil in Taupe, which I just realized is missing from this picture. I tend to curl my lashes and fill in my brows first in what I believe is a fit of self preservation. This way if I have to leave my house without anything else my brows are in place and my lashes have been curled? I dunno, it's just how my routine has panned out.

I tightlined my top lash line using my Makeup Designory eyeliner brush and the dark purple shade in the Smashbox trio of colors. This mini palette came in a highlight/contour set that was a VIB reward. Then on my eyes I used Iced to highlight, then Mean and Hatter on lid and crease. The brushes I used were three Sigma brushes (crease, crease shader, and the smallest one - I can't remember the name now, but it's that one with the teal handle.) I curl my lashes, usually before I start my makeup, and always do a coat of the Clinique primer (white tube) then a coat of a non-waterproof, right now I'm using Benefit's Roller Lash, and then onto the big guns, which is waterproof, and builds great volume, Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara in the waterproof formula. I know a lot of people have strong feelings one way or another about waterproof vs. non waterproof mascara, but as someone who has eyes that tend to water throughout the day, waterproof is a must have for me.

I sometimes forget a lip - which is a crime - but today I used NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Rikugien, which Sephora describes as "rose pink."

What did you wear today? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Watching Cancer Take My Mom

I’ve been snooping around my parents house, looking for old photos. I know we have them, my dad loves photography, and I know we have boxes of pictures around here somewhere. Snooping is probably too strong a word, really I’m just searching around. I’m trying to find as many photos of my mom as possible. Most of the photos that are around the house are studio portraits, or other photos of me, from school, from dance. There are few adult pictures of my parents that don’t also include a younger version of me. I want to find these photos because I want to have as many visual reminders of who my mom was, physically, before the cancer came. I want to remember her holding me while I suspiciously suss out Donald Duck, or holding me on her lap in a blue chair that’s almost just as much a part of my childhood memories. I want to remember her smiling, and vibrant, and sometimes, clearly annoyed with the photographer (my dad.) I want all of these as a constant reminder that my mom is so much

When The Waves are Sorrow

I know the lyric to Across the Universe goes "pools of sorrow, waves of joy," and I understand the meaning. Sorrow can feel like a deep and endless pool, but for me, lately, the waves aren't of joy so much as sorrow and grief. Life lately has been survival and attempting to get back into what is the new "normal." The challenge is, I feel like I'm standing in the ocean, waist deep. Most of the time I'm floating in those pools, or at least along with the calm ebb and flow of the tide, but some days, like on Saturday, I am knocked over completely by a wave so big and powerful it pulls me under and holds me there. It hurts, and I can feel my lungs burning as I strain to hold my breath until the current releases me. This overwhelming ache of loss and sadness. I miss my mommy. I know it never goes away. I know this, and I know that eventually the waves are less powerful, either that or I better learn how to dodge them, ride them. There doesn't seem to be

Re-Post: New Year, New You

This post originally published on In The Blackest Ink Today is the 5th of January, we are now almost a full week into the new year, but for me, the new year just began today. Today, I was laid off from my job. I wasn't surprised, although I suppose, maybe the fact that it was my last day was surprising. Around this time in 2016, my first job at this particular location of the organization where I have worked for the last 8 years, was eliminated. At that time, another position was created. I wasn't super thrilled about the position, and did start job hunting, but because I hadn't finished my bachelor's degree, I couldn't get hired. So, I stuck it out, and now, I don't have to? I can't say this is the best time to lose my job. I'm certainly not in a financial position to be unemployed, but I do know that I am incredibly lucky to have the safety net of my boyfriend and my father. Without that I would be in pretty dire straits. In some ways, this is the be