Skip to main content

Books: The Square Root of Summer by Harriet Reuter Hapgood

Margo "Grots" Oppenheimer has had a rough year. The previous Fall, her grandfather passed away suddenly, her secret boyfriend dumped her, her brother moved away to university, and her father, already a quiet man, became even more withdrawn. So, Margo did her best to push through, and follow all the steps laid out in a pamphlet from the hospital on what to do after someone dies. Cleaning out of possessions, organizing the funeral details, etc.
Somehow, though, she still finds herself losing hours, and conversations. Margo is a smart girl, off the charts smart, so when she begins to notice experiencing "wormholes," "screen wipes," and "reboots," in her daily life she takes her math and science and attempts to solve for x, so to speak. Using her grandfather's diaries, and her own scientific notation, Margo spends the summer skipping through timelines and realities in some pretty charming, if sometimes confusing, examples of magical realism. Thrown into the mix this summer is the reappearance of her childhood best friend, Thomas, with whom she rebuilds a somewhat complicated relationship.

As someone who recently lost a loved one, I could feel Margo's grief, and understand it well. Part of what makes her, as a character, relatable, and likeable, even when you can see her alienating herself from her life, is the knowledge that losing her grandfather has clearly broken something integral to her person. In terms of relating grief, this book is spot on. Other aspects of Margo's life, like her dealing with her breakup with her first love (who also happens to be her brother's best friend and band mate,) her unraveling friendship with her girlfriend, Sofia, and her encouraging Physics teacher are also pretty relatable to anyone who's ever had her heart broken.

Harriet Reuter Hapgood does a wonderful job of creating a complex, smart, and quirky main character, as well as a strong supporting cast. Margo is complicated, and messy, but still whip smart, even when she's coming apart at the seams. Little details like Margo, Ned (her brother), and her father's German speaking throughout the story add depth to the family without feeling forced. The specter of her deceased mother haunts her just enough to be understandable without being overkill, and her path back to a relationship with Thomas is endearing without being sappy. My challenge with this novel was that sometimes the timelines, and jumping around, and math science deal was a bit confusing to me. I couldn't tell what was actually real and what was maybe a grief induced fugue state? Even by the end of the novel, which felt resolved well enough, I wasn't 100% sure exactly what had happened. I'm ok with that though, because the overall enjoyment of the story made this worth the read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Waves are Sorrow

I know the lyric to Across the Universe goes "pools of sorrow, waves of joy," and I understand the meaning. Sorrow can feel like a deep and endless pool, but for me, lately, the waves aren't of joy so much as sorrow and grief. Life lately has been survival and attempting to get back into what is the new "normal." The challenge is, I feel like I'm standing in the ocean, waist deep. Most of the time I'm floating in those pools, or at least along with the calm ebb and flow of the tide, but some days, like on Saturday, I am knocked over completely by a wave so big and powerful it pulls me under and holds me there. It hurts, and I can feel my lungs burning as I strain to hold my breath until the current releases me. This overwhelming ache of loss and sadness. I miss my mommy. I know it never goes away. I know this, and I know that eventually the waves are less powerful, either that or I better learn how to dodge them, ride them. There doesn't seem to be

Books: The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi

I've been staying at my parents' house in Phoenix for the last few weeks while my mom is in hospice care at home. She's battled cancer like a champion for the last two years, and over Mother's Day weekend, after being hospitalised due to chemo treatments, made the decision to cease treatment, and go into hospice. This has been an incredibly difficult time for my dad and me, even though I'm grateful to have the time to be here with her in what is left of her time here with us.  That being said, I had started another book earlier in the week, and my heart just wasn't in it. I needed something that was going to allow me to escape my own reality for a while, and when I saw the description of The Star-Touched Queen, I immediately ordered it for my Kindle.  " Fate and fortune. Power and passion. What does it take to be the queen of a kingdom when you're only seventeen? Maya is cursed. With a horoscope that promises a marriage of Death and Destruction

Watching Cancer Take My Mom

I’ve been snooping around my parents house, looking for old photos. I know we have them, my dad loves photography, and I know we have boxes of pictures around here somewhere. Snooping is probably too strong a word, really I’m just searching around. I’m trying to find as many photos of my mom as possible. Most of the photos that are around the house are studio portraits, or other photos of me, from school, from dance. There are few adult pictures of my parents that don’t also include a younger version of me. I want to find these photos because I want to have as many visual reminders of who my mom was, physically, before the cancer came. I want to remember her holding me while I suspiciously suss out Donald Duck, or holding me on her lap in a blue chair that’s almost just as much a part of my childhood memories. I want to remember her smiling, and vibrant, and sometimes, clearly annoyed with the photographer (my dad.) I want all of these as a constant reminder that my mom is so much